Our babies are an important part of our lives from the day they are embedded inside us and being a mother it is in our blood to constantly worried about them. There are zillions of question run in our mind and we try every bit to give our best be it soothing our colicky baby, increase baby weight, making their bath time special by bringing different toys or even preparing their diaper bag.
Now once the 6 month stage gets over our next set of worries starts and this starts with FOOD. Baby weight is a major concern among moms that i was worried to increase baby weight during pregnancy. But don’t worry you are not alone, we all mothers are same. If you are looking for ways to increase baby weight please read below POINTERS:
Some Important Pointers To Increase Baby Weight:
While i was always on the lookout of food items to increase baby weight here are few things that I learnt during the process:
- Genetic: Like other things the weight of our baby also depends on what they inherit from us, the parents. So if a baby is very thin than that can also be because of the parental inheritance. Ideally after birth there is no increase in baby weight instead they loose 7 to 10% of birth weight which gets regain within first 2 weeks or so.
- Activity: If the baby doesn’t appear sick, weak or pale and is eating just fine, working actively then even if they don’t gain weight, it’s not to be worried about.
- Time and Food: Set a proper time for feeding the baby and do not skip or miss it. Your baby should be healthy,fat or thin is a secondary element.If you have an active and healthy baby you should not worry and stop trying to increase baby weight.
9 Food Items that Increase Baby Weight:
If you still want to increase your baby’s weight please understand that promoting weight doesn’t mean the bad weight. Sometimes we think if a baby is chubby they are healthy but they tend to be inactive. So in order for them to be healthy feeding proper food items is necessary. What all I had used for my baby, I am listing it down:
- Breast milk: Generally babies are recommended to consume nothing but breast milk for the first six months and I followed it giving nothing but the same. It is very healthy, full of nutrition and enough to give proper weight to the child. It is also easy to digest. My doctor advised me that breastmilk is the key for first 6 months whether you want to increase baby weight or not.
- Banana: This super food will fill your baby with energy and calories to be active for hours. They are highly filled with fibres, carbohydrates and vitamin C. They are also easy to eat which creates no fuss for the child and the mother.
- Yogurt: If you want your baby to gain weight fast with healthy elements, you can always get them some full crème yogurt. I have tried this and successfully won but one advice is to avoid Cow’s milk. The yogurt will help them gain calcium and minerals.
- Potato: This is much loved item for many kids and it’s filled with starch which is an energy generating element and also helps to increase baby’s weight. It is also filled with Vitamin C and Vitamin B6 which works like magic for kids. You can incorporate the potato in boiled form in their daily diet. Please start all food items only after completion of 6 months.
- Pulses: This is something i used to feed to my baby and it really works as a healthy element in their diet. You can prepare a soup, a curry or just boil it down and feed them. Pulses may not increase baby’s weight immediately but they have many health benefits.
6. Butter: After your baby is filled with proteins and starch products, it is important to provide them with enough fat to process. Butter is naturally energy providing element along with Vitamin A which helps to increase baby’s weight. This is a known as a good option for increasing the weight at a faster pace.
7. Fruit Pulp and fresh fruits:
My kid loved this one the most in the whole list because of its easy consumption. You can just give them mashed fruits or fruit pulp and they will gulp it away. The juices when freshly prepared are full of vitamins, fibres and minerals. They will an instant boost to their system. Offer them boiled apple cut into minute pieces and observe what they like.
8. Wheat: This is filled with dietary fibres which will give your kid the required elements for growth in a package. It also contains zinc, magnesium and iron which strengthens the body and increase baby’s weight. It is advised that you only feed them whole wheat after they are 10 months old.These are some of the things I learnt while taking care of my baby and some food items that helped me maintain the weight of my baby. You can always check them and feed them. If even after following the same they don’t actively grow then do visit a doctor.
Connect with me on Facebook