Having a baby is the most exciting moment in the lives of parents. But we have to bear all the responsibilities of the baby, In the initial days when we do not know most of the things challenge is maximum. The parents have to prepare themselves for the new member in their family. I have had a journey with my children, and I know the toils of maintaining a baby specially baby sleep which is a difficult task for some parents in the beginning.
First time mom often spend initial days finding tips to increase breast milk, decoding a crying baby which most of the time happens because of a colic and as if this was not enough baby sleep becomes another issue. All this could lead to a frustration. I have gone through the same with my daughter. It is always advised that new parents should get sufficient knowledge on handling babies before the birth takes place. Having a certain amount of knowledge helps in taking better care of the baby and yourself. You may like to read some baby sleep tips here which are based on my experience.
How to make your baby sleep throughout night?
- Babies have a natural clock in their body, and they are sensitive to light. For them, the light stands for daytime activities, and so light should be avoided during nights. Babies will take naps during the daytime as usual. But during the night you have to make sure that rooms are equipped with dimmed lights. This will ensure a good night baby sleep. If the baby tends to wake up early in the morning, then you can install blinds to keep light away.
- Swaddling is a great technique to relax the baby and make them fall asleep. Swaddling uses a comfortable cloth to wrap them and make baby sleep. You can easily check the technique online on youtube. I carried my son in my full buckle soul carrier which helped me make him sleep. Baby Wearing has immense benefits other than making babies sleep that we celebrate a baby wearing week to educate new parents.
- Your baby loves your attention, and this is why you should avoid eye contact before bedtime. Eye contacts make the baby motivated to play, and they do not fall asleep. So before bedtime comfort the baby on your shoulders without looking into their eyes.
- Babies may often cry in the night due to hunger. Dream feeding is a way to avoid the problem. You can go to your baby during midnight and feed them some milk. This would help them sleep throughout the night without any problem.
- I would not debate that co-sleeping is better or not but i always co-sleep with my kids since the time of their birth. Babies love the warmth of the mother, and they tend to sleep better with it. You can easily include your baby in your bed or place the cot near the bed. This also helps in the initial days when mothers are often fatigued post delivery.
- Set a bedtime for your baby, a baby sleep schedule always helps.. It is best if you feed them and place them in their bed between 7 pm to 8 pm or as per your family schedule. I find baby sleep better when we follow a schedule with them. I am a morning person and always wake up early but with my 1st one i did not know when i sleep and when i am up but though with my 2nd i knew how to make him follow a schedule.
- Make sure that your baby has an adequate number of naps throughout the day. Often people restrict babies from taking naps which make them agitated. An agitated baby will make a fuss during the night due to the irritation level.
- You have to sooth the baby gently so that they fall asleep slowly. Place him in a comfortable position in his bedtime and soothe him. You do not have to do it until they are fully asleep. The best time to place them in bed is when they are drowsy rather than sleepy. This also instills the sleep schedule and independent falling asleep in them.
- Use a nighttime diaper and follow full baby hygiene so that your baby isn’t uncomfortable at night. I used to carry a diaper changing sheet and baby blanket in my diaper bag so that i do not break my son’s schedule even if i am travelling. Here is my Ultimate Diaper Bag Checklist for first time moms
Most of the time we have to travel with kids and that time baby sleep schedule gets disturbed. Try to follow it as much as you can even if you are on travel.
- As a sleeping ritual, you can read a book to your baby. Babies love the voice of their mother, and it relaxes them. This also helps in soothing the baby and helps in inducing a bond between parents and child.
- Keep the temperature of the room normal so that it isn’t uncomfortable. Also cover your baby well or dress them well to avoid discomforts.
I hope that above baby sleep tips would help you. We can always try new methods for making them fall asleep. A pediatrician has to be contacted if the problem of sleeping is consistent.
Connect with me on Facebook