Looking for Holi Recipes?
Do not want to prepare Gujiya and Thandhai this Holi?
Here i am sharing most popular Holi recipes with you. Find them below –
A) Holi Special Gujiya Recipe
Gujiya is specially prepared on the occasion of Holi. Lets learn how to prepare it at home:
Preparation Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5-8 Minutes
Plain flour / maida – 2 Cup
Semolina/Sooji – ½ Cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp to knead the flour
Grated Mawa/ khoya – 1 cup
Almonds – 2 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
Cardamom green powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Raisins/ kishmish – 2 teaspoon
Refined oil /ghee for deep frying
1. Heat the pan and add grated mawa. Keep stirring continuously on a low flame till it turns light golden in the color and you feel nice aroma.
2. Bring out the mawa in a bowl to cool down. For Stuffing add chopped almonds, cashew nuts, raisins, grated coconut, cardamom powder, powdered sugar and semolina.
3. Take the flour in a separate bowl and add 3 tbsp ghee. Rub it with your palms and fingertips to get the even
4. Add water little at a time and knead the flour well to make soft dough. Cover it with wet muslin cloth to prevent its moisture and softness.
Note: dough should not be either too soft or stiff Cover it with wet muslin cloth to prevent it from drying out.
5. Divide the dough into 18-20 equal portions. Take one portion of the dough, dust with flour and roll into a 4-5 inch diameter circle using roller.
6. Take the gujiya mold, apply some oil on the inner part of the mold and put the rolled circle on it in a way as it covers the mold completely.
7. Put 1-1 ½ teaspoon stuffing in the center of the mold and apply water around the edges with the help of your finger tip and fold it into half circle then press it tightly. Remove the extra portion came out from mold after pressing it.
8. Take out the gujiya from the mold and do the same with the rest of the dough. Cover it with muslin cloth till you prepare rest of the gujiya to prevent from drying out.
9. Put the oil in Kadhai for deep fry on low flame and put 5-6 gujiya at a time and fry it turns light golden in colour from both the sides.
10. Drain fried gujiya on the tissue paper.
Your Delicious Gujiya is ready to serve on Holi. Serve while it gets cool along with other snacks or keep it in air tight container. So this is how you can prepare most popular Holi recipe.
B. Crispy Mathri Recipe
It is among most popular Holi recipes. Eeasy to prepare and delicious – Have it with evening Tea or as snacks.
Total Time: 30 mins
Quantity: 5 mathris
1 cup Plain Flour (Maida)
1/4 tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1/2 tsp Fenugreek leaves
1 tbsp melted Ghee
Salt to taste
Oil for deep-frying
Procedure of making Mathris
1. Pour all the ingredients in a bowl and make stiff dough using enough water.
2. Divide the dough into 5 equal parts.
3. Give shape to mathri as per your choice either circle or triangle and enlarge its size little more with the help of roller.
4. Prick the mathri with a fork.
5. Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and deep-fry mathris on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. When it is done you will feel a good aroma.
6. Take out the Mathris on tissue paper.
7. Serve with Hot Tea.
C) THANDAI RECIPE – ON OCCASION OF HOLI
Thandai is the best drink to serve on Holi. On the hot day of Holi ones feel rejuvenated after drinking an aromatic drink like Thandai. Nothing could be best of it. So let’s make it at home this Holi.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Serving For: 4 Persons
4 ½ cups full Cream milk , boiled and cooled
1/4 cup powdered sugar
a pinch of freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch)
a few saffron (kesar) strands
Powdered Form Of :
1/4 cup almonds (badam)
2 tbsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
2 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
20 whole white peppercorns
1. Pour the milk and prepared powder in a mixture, mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Add the sugar, pepper powder and saffron and mix well.
3. Pour equal quantities of the thandai into 4 individual glasses and serve chilled.
D)_Bhel Puri recipe –
Bhel is a commo and easy snacks to prepare in short span of time. It gives a combine tastes of papadis, puffed rice, sev or aloo bhujiya onions, potatoes, nuts green coriander leaves and sweet and sour chutneys.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Servings: 4 Persons
4 cups puffed rice (kurmura)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup peeled and chopped potatoes
3/4 cup imli ki chutney
1/2 cup green chutney
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1 1/2 tsp chaat masala
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup sev or aloo bhujiya
1/2 cup coarsely crushed papdis
finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently till all the ingredients gets mixed well.
2. Add salt to taste and mix until it dissolves.
3. Pour lemon juice into bowl and mix well.
4. Pour green and red imli chutney into the bowl and mix well.
5. Garnish with firmly chopped green coriander leaves
6. Serve Immediately.
E. Delicious Dahi Bhalla Recipe –
It is all time favorite food of mine. Tempting combination of chutney makes me feel just to have it again and again. You will love this dish, just follow below steps and prepare this one among many Holi recipes.
Ingredients for Bhalla:
1. 1 cup Yellow Moong Daal (Dhooli Moong Daal)
2. 1 Pinch asafoetida (hing)
3. Salt ½ teaspoon
4. Red chilli powder ¼ teaspoon
5. Oil to deep fry
Ingredients for Yogurt:
1. 3 cups full cream milk
2. 2 tea spoon powdered sugar
3. 1 Tea Spoon Yogurt
Ingredients for Sweet Red Chutney:
1. ½ cup seedless tamarind (kachchi imli)
2. 1 ½ cup water
3. ½ teaspoon cumin seed
4. ½ teaspoon ginger poweder
5. 1 Pinch asafoetida
6. ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
7. 7 tablespoon jiggery
8. 1 teaspoon oil
9. Salt to taste
Preparing of Sweet Yogurt for Dahi Bhalla –
1. Take 3 cups of tepid full cream milk in a bowl.
2. Add 2 spoonful powdered sugar into milk.
3. Add 2 spoonful curd and mix well until it dissolves completely.
4. Keep it on room temperature for overnight to get the yogurt.
5. In the morning keep this yogurt in refrigerator.
Preparing of Sweet Red Chutney-
1. Soak tamarind overnight in a bowl full of water
2. Squeeze the pulp in same bowl
3. Strain the pulp and keep aside
4. Heat oil in a pan
5. Add cumin seed and let them crackle
6. Add asafoetida , red chilli and ginger powder and 1 teaspoon water to protect the spice from burning
7. Add strained tamarind pulp and stir to mix it well. Cook for 2-3 minutes
8. Now add crumbled jaggery and salt and cook for another 4-5 minute
9. Once it gets cooled keep in refrigerator.
Preparing of Bhalla Batter is the first step –
1. Soaked yellow moong daal (Dhuli Moong) in enough water for overnight.
2. Ground it to a smooth paste. Do not add water while grinding.
3. Take out the batter in a deep bowl and beat the batter well until its light and fluffy; just like a pakora batter.
4. Now add pinch of asafoetida, salt to taste, red chilli powder and mix it well till all the ingredients get dissolved. Now your batter is ready to cook.
5. Once the oil is heated, carefully place in table spoonful of batter into the oil.
6. deep-fry on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
7. Dip the fried vadas immediately into the bowl fool of water.
At last assemble bhalla, yogurt and chutney to have yummy plate of dahi bhalla. Squeeze 2 bhallas to strain out the water and place it on a serving plate. Now add chat masala, yogurt and red chutney to taste. Garnish with pomegranate juicy seeds.
Above Holi recipes are tried and tested by me and i shared the way which i use to prepare.
I hope you will find these Holi recipes useful. Rock the Holi party and impress your guests with these Holi recipes.
Last but not least do not forget to follow basic Holi etiquette while playing Holi – Read them here